Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Utility Companies Commit Tort: False Imprisonment

Howdy folks, it's good to be back behind the keyboard. Now that I've got internet access at home now, you can count on me getting some thoughts into the blogosphere.

When my favorite redhead and I moved to our new home, we did so under the impression that our new home was all electric. So, when Rebecca decided to take a shower on the first morning that she woke up there, she was unpleasantly surprised to find no hot water. Thankfully, we moved in the hottest part of the summer, so luke warm waters aren't that uncomfortable.

Well, of course, the next step in getting our home fully moved-into, was to get someone to hook up the gas water heater. We call the ONLY company that services our town, only to be told that the soonest that could be there was next thursday. As it was Monday, we had to be resigned to the fact that cold water would rain supreme for another week. I was unfortunately taking the bar exam that week, and so Rebecca was alone at the house.

She went back to Waco to see me and encourage me on Wednesday and I was lucky to convince her to stay the night because I needed her presence. If she should leave Waco by 10:30, she should be able to make it back to our new place by about 11:30. The gas company told her to be at the house from 12:00 - 5:00 to meet the gas man.

As it turns out, she gets back to the new place at about noon, and what does she find but a note saying that the gas man had come and gone at 11:45. AAARRRGGHH! She gets to wait on hold for 25 minutes (on her cell phone no less) and asks them to reschedule.

"Oh, but we can't have anyone there until Monday. Be home between 8:00 and 5:00." I guess the gas companies think that they are the only people who work during the week. It's obscene. Luckily, we weren't starting our jobs just yet, but nonetheless, we had things to do.

Confined to our house, we had to wait for the person who would bring warmth to our home until a full 11:45. I may be wrong, but I bet the gas company could whittle down their approximate delivery times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Web Site Counter